Friday 28 August 2015

Can teenagers be interested in politics?

   I think a lot of adults see children as these people who are trying to figure out what to do with their lives, without worrying about 'adult life'. Although when they do - it takes people in a shock, both good and bad.
  My parents both support me with my interest in politics. My dad can always find a stupid topic to have a debate about (he's a Tory, just saying) while my mum kind of just rants about whatever Putin is doing and taxes in Denmark. They found it funny in a cheerful way when I would ask about how the government works and whether or not we can trust politicians. Although now they're the ones asking me questions, most of the time.
  
Just because one can't vote doesn't mean one can't have an interest or an opinion for something to do with politics. There are several different topics which adults take an interest in that doesn't concern them - if you look at the teenage life. Ultimately, a teenagers opinion is one of the most important. Politicians are shaping our future, in some way or other, and we ought to have a say in what we think about it.
  I am not saying we should put the voting age down to thirteen or fourteen, that would be absurd! You would end up with clueless boys and girls who vote for that guy they saw on the news the other day, because he said one good thing which sounded reasonable but you had no idea what it meant. But lets stick it down to 16, at least in some votes. 
  
Just like adults - teenagers are different aswell. Some have dark hair, some have blonde, others play football and a few watch the news and check up on politics. I'm the last one. I've gotten used to the common remarks on people telling me to educate myself, and "anything Victoria likes is boring." My reason for having such a wide interest in the Globe is simply because there are so many problems which no one is willing to fix. When will the West face up to Russia properly instead of sanctioning them and putting them on hold? When will people actually start taking Global Warming seriously? Those are only some of my problems. And the racial discrimination people see everyday. Aswell as USA's hideous gunlaws - oh the list goes on forever!
  We are the ones who aren't just listening to the same words coming out of politicians mouths, but the ones who are inventing new ones. Don't get me wrong - some politicians are hope. They are the ones who have inspired me. 

There are also the ones who claim children are too interested in politics, and since when did they start caring about taxes. We see problems aswell, whether it is at school, on the news or on the bus. We are aware of what is happening around us - some more than others. If the General Election taught me something, it's that everyone I'm friends with on Facebook apparently has a degree in Politics. Typing salty statuses explaining how we shouldn't be involved in what's going on and continue playing with toys. As far as I am concerned, before the flow of political teenagers (sorry - best name I could think of) adults would complain about how we waste our time on stuff that wouldn't help us in our future. Now that a lot of us have come over that barrier, we apparently aren't welcome. Why? Because they're scared of our ideas.

Next time you tell Abby Tomlinson that she can't vote, so why does she write for the Guardian and appears on Sky News - or you tell a fourteen year old like me that I shouldn't care, please consider that we have every right to be part of the moving act towards fairness and equality, we have a brain which is capable of brining new ideas.



No comments:

Post a Comment